Opening an NC ABLE account can be as easy as opening a bank account. You can open an account online, by telephone, or by mailing in a paper form. Before starting the enrollment process, review the information below, and collect the information described in the Enrollment Checklist.
Eligible Account Owner
The owner of an NC ABLE account is the beneficiary of the account. To become an Account Owner, an individual must meet certain eligibility criteria. The individual must have a disability that began before the individual's 26th birthday and must also satisfy at least one of the following:
1. The individual is entitled to SSI or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) based on their disability;
2. The individual has a condition on the Social Security Administration's List of Compassionate Allowances Conditions that causes marked and severe functional limitations; or
3. The disability was diagnosed by a physician and causes marked and severe functional limitations. The individual must agree to retain a copy of the diagnosis, which meets certain requirements.
In addition, the Account Owner must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or resident alien;
- Have a social Security number or tax identification number; and
- Have a valid permanent street address in the U.S. or a U.S. territory or a U.S. military base address.
An Authorized Individual may be designated to open and manage an account on the Account Owner's behalf. An Account Owner with legal capacity may designate any person or entity to act as an Authorized Individual through a power of attorney. If the Account Owner does not have legal capacity, then the permitted Authorized Individual, in order of priority, are the Account Owner's:
1. Agent under a power of attorney;
2. Conservator or legal guardian;
6. Grandparent; or
7. Representative payee appointed for the Account Owner by the Social Security Administration.
More than one Authorized Individual may be appointed to an account.
Plan Disclosure Booklet
The Plan Disclosure Booklet provides a detailed description of the NC ABLE Program's terms and conditions, including additional information on eligibility requirements, Authorized Individuals, documentation, and other topics covered on this page. The Plan Disclosure Booklet is an important part of your agreement with the NC ABLE Program, so you review it carefully.
I am ready to open an NC ABLE account
Call a customer service representative for the NC ABLE Program at (888) 627-7503 to open an NC ABLE account.